Thursday, March 25, 2010

Day 5 as a non-smoker

It's soooo Easy! A few cravings usually when I'm doing something that was accompanied by smoking - but the cravings are so mild - a slight feeling in my chest that I now see as the nicotine monster. It is funny actually because that little B has no power. What used to be a LOUD ROAR is now a tiny weak whimper. I can tell he is dying. After three days of non-smoking, apparently the nicotine has gone from my body - at least 99% has - and in three weeks it will all be gone.

The power of suggestion that Allen Carr uses works for me. I'm so happy to be FREE from the fear of not being able to have a cigarette and from being a slave to the nicotine monster - I can hardly believe I was so blind. My mind is so clever that it had me convinced that smoking was not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be.

Non-smokers cannot relate to this unless they are addicted to something else - I imagine all addictions create FEAR and panic when threatened by not being able to satisfy the demands of their inner addiction monster.

Allen Carr is brilliant in creating a brainwashing technique that is opposite of what the majority of Quit Smoking organizations do. Rather than using scare tactics which only make a smoker want to smoke more (they create more stress and therefore fear), he constantly tells us how relieved we will feel once we are free from the clutches of the monster within.

He repeatedly reminds us that it is the last cigarette we had that causes our withdrawal symptoms.

Now that is brilliant. I paid attention to what was going on inside me as I took my habitual three puffs on a cigarette. I noticed how relaxed my body felt with each puff. Then I put out the cigarette and went back to my desk.

By the time I sat down, I wanted another cigarette. I could feel the sensations in my chest area that signaled it was time for another. Before I began paying attention, I had not noticed these feelings. These are what Allen calls "withdrawal" sensations.

It is really important to pay attention because then it is easier to overpower the nicotine monster - or another way of putting it is to empower yourself - which takes away the power of the addiction.

People who quit with willpower have a more difficult time taking back their power and allowing the nicotine monster to die. I think it is because FEAR does not allow them to pay attention to what is going on - they try to distract their minds with lots of other things and don't really want to think about smoking - I know that because in the past I tried to quit using willpower and I would not allow myself to even think of smoking.

Now I can see it for what it truly is. And I'm soooo happy to be free of the fear of not having a cigarette.

It is very important to keep in mind that even just one puff on a cigarette will do me in. I know this to be true. After twenty years of not smoking, it was just one puff that immediately empowered the Nicotine Monster and I was back to smoking again.

I had completely forgotten the power of the Monster and that I was an addict. This time, I will keep the book in clear site - forever - and if ever I had a longing for a smoke, I will pick up the book and begin reading and that will save me from falling into the clutches of that NC.

No comments:

Post a Comment