Sunday, January 10, 2010

Lexmark Printer Challenge

Today I take the bull by the horns and decide to finally deal with an annoying printer problem.

My Lexmark printer has become an annoying thorn in my side that I need deal with.

I know that it was inexpensive - that is why I bought it at Future Shop. All I wanted was to print black and white - but it included color so I thought oh well, perhaps there will come a time I will want color.

Never after 2.5 years have I wanted it, and it started causing me grief as soon as the first black and white cartridge ran dry. In all I have purchased about 6 B&W cartridges - not bad.

But Lexmark now notifies me that I need a color cartridge every time I print something. Then when the color cartridge ran dry, it asks me everytime I print if I want to recycle - and it stops the printing process so I have to begin it again.

I do recycle and I do not want color - so I decided to go right to the horses mouth and request how to disable these non-features.

After registering for tech help, and completing their forms twice I get a response giving me three choices of $$$ amounts to pay - really!!!!!

Not one of the choices is no payment at all - why should I pay anything to stop their pesky advertising - that is like spam to me - unsolicited advertising in my face every time I want to print.

Not only that - I discovered by ignoring their advice to run out and get a cartridge before the current one dries out and leaves me stranded the cartridge lasts a very long time - I have thrown money away by not waiting until the cartridge was actually dry. Stupid me!

A Future Shop sales guy gave me a great little tip - he said to turn off the printer between print jobs because it stops the ink from drying out in a cartridge - wonderful tip - now my cartridges last even longer.

I will never buy another Lexmark product again - it is not worth the time wasted in repeating the print function twice to print a simple page and the distraction that takes me from my work.

Waiting now for an answer from Lexmark customer service - I doubt I will receive one because I told them I will never purchase a Lexmark product again.

So, this has been my "get it off my chest" exercise and now I will resume PEACE AND JOY.

No comments:

Post a Comment