Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Still reading Shock Doctrine

The other day I watched Part I of the new TV series, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet with Bernice. Near the beginning I realized that I had read the book within the last year and the characters were becoming familiar.

Bernice mentioned "things haven't changed much in the world since the 1100s".

I vaguely agreed with her except for an individuals personal safety. In those days, based on my readings of the Templars and comparing the ordinary folk to my own life, I feel a whole lot more safe to live now than I would have then. I can speak my mind to my friends and even strangers without worrying that I'll have my head chopped off. Of course if I found myself on an elevator with a group of teenage boys smoking, I would hesitate to chastise them for fear of being beat up. So Hmmmmmm! Maybe she has a point.

As I was reading Naomi Klein's writing about Israeli's recent rise to high technology fame, particularly where it applies to security surveillance equipment, Bernice's comments came to mind and began to make a lot of sense.

Naomi's book, Shock Doctrine, the Rise of Disaster Capitalism, reads like a Knight's Templar book by Jack Whyte, except that Jack kept me on the edge of my seat with anticipation and even fear for my favourite characters.

Naomi has woven a few personal experiences and true tragic stories of specific victims of the wars into her historical reporting. She also reveals horrible truths of many recognizable political (both former presidents, the Bushes) and corporate individuals (Larry Summer) who I recognize and who would indeed frighten the daylights out of anyone who learns the truth about them. For some reason my whole being resists what she has to say - so much so that I can only read a few pages at a time before dosing off to sleep.

Perhaps it is too real and too horrid for me to accept as truth. I don't doubt that her information and facts are true - she has them well documented with references. I keep asking for help to understand what I am reading...and ... what about Canada and Canadian politicians and corporate giants? I can't even form the questions, yet.

During the times when wars were a way of life (BC and AD) (as if they aren't today) people enclosed their villages with high stone and concrete walls and wide water filled moats to defend themselves from thieves, murderers, and corrupt insane Royals with blindly loyal knights and armies.

I am happy to say that growing up in the East end of Toronto, in the early 40s we never locked our doors during the day and even sometimes at night while we slept the doors remained unlocked - it was not much on our minds to defend ourselves.

In 70s in the Toronto suburb of North York with my own family, I did not even think of being broken into - it was a rare occurrence in the neighbourhoods I lived in.

However, I do recall when a low income housing complex was being developed within a few blocks of our house. I heard my neighbours express their concerns about leaving toys and bikes out on the street at night. And sure enough one morning when the complex was completely inhabited a bike when missing from our street.

And yes, a search by a few neighbours found the bike down in the new housing development. What a shame! Now we all had to be more conscious and careful of our belongings. That was around 35 years ago - and still there are no gated communities that I am aware of here in Vancouver or in Toronto - gated mansions of the rich and famous, yes, but not yet of communities.

Oh yes, and even the thieves/criminals - members of biker communities board up their windows and barricade them with iron grills to defend themselves from the law enforcers.

South Africa's elite has for many years had gated homes and property with hired security guards. But here is what shocks me.

According to Naomi, since Katrina, American middle class suburban communities are in defense mode. They are erecting walls complete with Israeli security equipment. Who on earth are they defending themselves against? Why it's the poor have-not's - that's who! Hmmmmm! Sounds familiar.

Things they are a-changing back to the way it used to be. That is very scary! Something must be done about it - will be done about it.

There will be no "opportunity" here in Canada. No shock doctrine! Although it is happening as I write - I don't have to just sit here and accept it - I will find a way to bring about a peaceful loving solution and it won't be by hiding behind a virtual wall of defense with the elite of Israel profiting from surveillance equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment