Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Break from World Affairs

Today I celebrate a new discovery in Vancouver.

I have been asking for a more convenient way to shop for groceries.Shopping for one is a relatively new experience after over 20 years of living with others.

It has taken me time to adjust to cooking for one - I usually end up cooking enough to feed at least two and sometimes even three or four. Trouble with that is I usually eat far too much because I am hungry enough to eat it all. And it is even worse if it is my comfort food. My inner guide always tells me not to cook so much, but then I argue that I'll save what I don't want for leftovers. Not a good idea because I love the food so much that I can't stop eating until the pot is empty.

No wonder I have put on so much weight since I quit smoking in March.

So I have decided to eat healthy and try to include less meat and more raw fruit and vegetables in my diet. It has been working - I am actually enjoying salads now.

Again the challenge is in the purchasing - a whole bag of organic carrots lasts me way too long and I haven't found them in smaller quantities until today.

Whole Foods on Cambie is my new discovery. On my way to the Factory Outlet to order my new prescription eye glasses, I was delighted to see this beautiful store and I promised myself to drop in on my way home and purchase a few things.

Well low and behold - Whole Foods caters to single folks - young and old. They even had bins of bulk cherry tomatoes, sliced zucchini, prepared vegetables for those who just want to make a little salad for themselves.

I found organic carrots in bulk, individual celery stalks - bins of organic salad greens - although I did not find romaine lettuce in small quantities.

I found a small basil plant that I could easily consume without any waste. The product section today was soooo beautiful - local produce as well as fruit and vegetables from other areas.

Organic is quite important to me, even though my income is not really compatible. But I am going to investigate how to do organic, more frequently (it only took me 15 or 20 minutes at the most to get to the store and I was finished all my errands before my transit ticket expired - $1.75 to go there and back) Now that is a definite advantage...plus I get exercise by walking to and from the skytrain.

I am a happy camper and I am determined to eat healthy, get lots of exercise, and stay within my budget.

I love Vancouver.


No comments:

Post a Comment