Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Viva le differance

Thoughts of the day...
When the salesman at Atkins and Grainger was surprised that I had never heard the nickname, Wack Bennett, my feelings were not hurt, but they could have been had that happened ten years ago.
I have never figured out why people have a need to act so superior because someone else doesn't know what they know. Not true. I do know why they do it - they do it because they have a need to be right and they get a boost to their ego if they know something that someone else doesn't - how bazaar is that?

In Ontario it is no different - actually I often felt somewhat bruised by others' reactions when I honestly declared that I didn't know something or someone. On first impulse, without thinking, I admit my ignorance. I notice that I put myself down quite often with "oh how clever you are...I'm not that smart or quick thinking." And guess what, when I do that my friends usually feel quite comfortable pointing out my shortcomings.

A frequent one here in Vancouver is, "you don't have a very good sense of direction do you." Now that one really gets me. No kidding, in Toronto, the city of my birth, as a real estate agent I had a gift for finding my way - it was easy because I automatically used the Lake as my point of reference, but even without even knowing which direction the Lake was - I seemed to know instinctively. Admittedly, when I travelled west to locations around the Lake, the directions became more difficult - because the Lake was now East or even North as I drove around it to Niagara Falls.

In Vancouver, the mountains are to the north - easy - as long as I know where they are:)

Anyway, another difference between the BCers the Ontarians - is their attitudes. In Ontario a person with a need to know seems more aggressive than the BCers.

No comments:

Post a Comment